Skip to main content Accessibility Statement
Musical festival crowd

Off to a festival? Protect your gadgets first

This week Glastonbury festival starts, typically the marker for a festival season full of music, fun and (fingers crossed) sunshine. But with festival goers packing expensive gadgets, including smartphones, iPads and laptops, could the dream turn into a nightmare?

More than seven in 10 (73%) 18 to 24 year olds do not think they need insurance for their gadgets and more than half are put off by the cost, according to comparison website

This isn’t due to a lack of love for their gadgets either – as only a fifth of 18-24 year olds have taken out cover for their mobile phones, despite claiming it is one of the most important possessions they own.

If your gadgets are protected under your home insurance policy, make sure you double-check your policy before heading to a festival. If you have possessions stolen from a tent, comparethemarket warn that many insurers will not pay out in the event of a claim on your contents insurance.

But why is this, and what can you do to make sure you don’t have a festival disaster?

Protecting your gadgets

The reason is because theft cover is typically provided following a forced entry or exit from the premises where the item is kept – but tents are impossible to secure, so if items are stolen from a tent it is highly unlikely that they will be covered.

Check your home insurance policy to see if you are covered for items outside the home – and if you’re not, either take your gadgets with you while you go and see bands or leave them at home. Are you really going to be using your laptop or tablet while you’re at a festival anyway?

The key is to ensure you have some form of appropriate insurance. Over one in 10 uninsured 18-24 year olds have had to pay full value to have a mobile phone fixed or replaced – and given that the average price of a smartphone is £259, replacing a gadget can be a real pain.

Your insurance options

Many people insure their gadgets through their home insurance policies - 42% of mobile phones and 72% of tablets were covered under a home and contents insurance policy, which can be a cost effective way of protecting your valuables.

Look for policies with personal possessions cover, which will cover you for items you lose outside your home, such as cameras, laptops and jewellery.

Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of your policy and any exclusions (items that aren’t covered), so that you know what you can and cannot claim for.

You can get mobile phone insurance to cover yourself for things such as leaving your phone behind accidentally, or water damage.


What makes a good insurance policy

Not sure what makes a good content insurance policy? You’re not alone. But there are certain things your policy must have, including a personal liability amount, and cover for content left out in the open.

You should also look for policies that cover accidental damage, and have an index-linked sum insured. This means your cover will rise in line with inflation, so you won’t find yourself underinsured. New-for-old policies replace your old items with new ones, so might be worth looking into.




What do you think?

We really want you to share your views, but please remember to be nice ☺
All fields are required. Check out our full commenting guidelines

By clicking on 'Post Comment', you're agreeing to our Commenting Policy