Coronavirus if you’re an employee

The Job Retention Scheme, also known as furlough, has been extended until 30 September 2021. This guide looks at how the scheme works and what you can do if you’ve already been made redundant, as well as your rights to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and what benefits you can claim if you’re not entitled to SSP.

Job Retention Scheme

Money Navigator Tool

Looking for help with your finances during coronavirus, but don’t know where to begin? You’re not alone. Get started with Money Navigator, giving you instant help based on your circumstances.

Get started.

The Job Retention Scheme, also known as furlough, has been extended until 30 September 2021.

It will pay 80% of your salary for your normal hours which you can’t work, up to £2,500 a month.

For example, if you are unable to work at all, you will get 80% of your normal salary, up to £2,500 a month.

If you can work half your normal hours, you will be paid as normal for these. You will also be paid 80% of your salary for the half of your hours you’re not working, which in this case would be 40% of your normal salary.

The money for your hours not worked will be paid for by the government and your employer will not have to make any contributions towards this.

Your employer will continue to make the associated employer National Insurance Contributions and minimum automatic enrolment employer pension contributions.

Your employer can put you on the Job Retention Scheme as long as you were employed and on the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) payroll on 30 October 2020. This scheme applies across all regions of the UK.

From July, your employer will be asked to contribute more to your salary, but you will still get the same amount.

Test and Trace Support Payment

Join our Facebook group, Coronavirus and your Money for money news and updates as soon as we get them, as well as a place to ask money questions, share worries and help others out.

If you’re told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace system, can’t work from home and are claiming:

  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit

You will be entitled to a payment of £500.

In Scotland, this is called the Self-Isolation Support Grant. There is no similar payment available in Northern Ireland.

This payment will be made by your local authority.

You will have to show proof of your employment to qualify and checks will be carried out to check you’re unable to work from home.

Find out more about the scheme if you live in England on the website.
If you live in Scotland, you can find out more about the scheme on the website.
If you live in Wales, you can find out more about the scheme on the website.

Am I entitled to sick pay?

Your rights to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) depend on your employment status and earnings.

If you’re an employee and earn more than £120 a week

Got a question?

Our money guidance experts will point you in the right direction.

Start a webchat online or call us on 0800 138 1677.

If you’re an employee and earn at least £120 a week, you will be able to get £95.85 per week for up to 28 weeks. The government has announced SSP will be paid from the first day you are off sick if it is related to coronavirus.

SSP covers you both if you’re ill and if you need to self isolate because you have been in direct contact with the virus. You will still need to provide a sick note or fit note. You no longer have to go to a doctor to get a sick note or fit note. You can get one by calling NHS 111.

Some employers have more generous contractual sick pay schemes. It is worth checking your contract, staff handbook or with your employer.

If your employer refuses to pay you SSP

The government has said that it will bear the costs of SSP for smaller employers, so claiming it should not be a problem. If you do have a problem, contact the HM Revenue and Customs statutory payment dispute team:

Telephone: 03000 560 630
Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm
Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

Textphone: 0300 200 3212
Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm

If you’re an employee and earn less than £120 a week

If you’re employed but your earnings are too low to claim SSP, you may be able to claim Universal Credit if you have a low household income and you and your partner or spouse have savings of less than £16,000. You can do this online.

Don’t delay making a claim for benefits, even if you think you might have been affected by coronavirus.

However, if you are already getting any of these benefits being replaced by Universal Credit:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Tax Credits
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance

and need to make a claim for Universal Credit because of coronavirus, check with the Citizens Advice Help to Claim service as soon as possible to find out how they might be affected and to get advice about your situation. If you’re in Scotland, visit the Citizens Advice Scotland website.

Find out more about coronavirus and your rights at work on the ACAS website.
If you’re in Northern Ireland, you should visit the Labour Relations Agency.
Learn more about the different kinds employment status.

If you don’t want to go into work because of coronavirus

If you don’t want to travel or go into work because you’re worried about catching coronavirus your rights are more limited.

Employers are required to listen to your concerns and try and find a way to work around them. You might also be able to take the time off as holiday or unpaid leave.

If you have caring responsibilities

You’re entitled to take time off to care for a dependent. There are no rules around how much time you can take off and you should talk to your employers about your options. You might also be able to take time off as holiday leave.

Learn more about time off to care for a dependant on the ACAS website.
Find out more on the Working Families website.

You also have the right to ask for flexible working, such as reducing or altering your working hours, and time off in emergencies.

Find out more about your rights if you’re a carer on the Citizens Advice website.

It’s important you reach an agreement with your employer before deciding not to turn up to work, as this can be treated as an unauthorised absence.

If you’re worried about losing your job

Furloughed workers

Your redundancy pay is worked out using your normal salary, not the amount you’ve been getting while on furlough.

If the company you work for has gone into administration, the administrators might be able to access the same government grant if they intend to keep the business open.

However, If you’re worried that you might be made redundant our Redundancy Handbook can help you prepare.

If you’re facing redundancy during your apprenticeship, the government has launched a new service which offers free advice and can help you find new opportunities. Find out more on the website.

Lay-offs and reduced hours

If you’ve been asked to take unpaid leave, and your contract allows you to be unpaid during this period, you might be able to claim Guarantee Pay.

You might also be able to claim new-style Jobseekers Allowance and, if you need help with other costs, Universal Credit.

Find out more about lay-offs and short-time working on the websiteopens in new window.

Did you find this guide helpful?