How do savings and lump sum pay-outs affect benefits?

Some benefits are affected by the amount of money you have in savings, such as cash in a savings account, or investments in shares. These benefits are called means-tested benefits. Find out more about which benefits are affected by savings or a lump sum pay-out, such as redundancy pay or compensation.

Which benefits are affected by savings?

Got a question?

Our advisers will point you in the right direction.

Start a webchat online or call us on 0800 138 1677.

The main means-tested benefits that are affected by both income and savings include:

  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Tax Credits (Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit)
  • Council Tax Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit

What are the savings limits?

Money Navigator Tool

Looking for money guidance, but don’t know where to begin? You’re not alone. Get started with Money Navigator, giving you instant help based on your circumstances.

Get started.

Universal Credit

If you or your partner have £6,000 or less in savings this will not affect your claim for these benefits.

If you and/or your partner have £16,000 or more in savings, you will not be entitled to Universal Credit.

If you and/or your partner have any savings or capital of between £6,000 and £16,000, the first £6,000 is ignored.

The rest is treated as if it gives you a monthly income of £4.35 for each £250, or part of £250.


  • You’re claiming Universal Credit and have £7,000 in a savings account
  • The first £6,000 of it is ignored
  • The remaining £1,000 is counted as giving you a monthly income of £17.40
  • £1,000 ÷ £250 = 4
  • 4 × £4.35 = £17.40
  • £17.40 will be taken off your monthly Universal Credit payment.

How your savings are affected if you move from Tax Credits to Universal Credit

This depends on if you’ve been told by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) you will be moving to Universal Credit (known as managed migration), or if you’re circumstances have changed (for example, a change in employment status, family circumstances or housing situation).

If you’re moving from Tax Credits because of a change in circumstances (for example, a change in employment status, family circumstances or housing situation) and you have over £16,000 in savings, you will normally not qualify for Universal Credit. Any savings you have between £6,000 and £16,000 will reduce the amount of Universal Credit you will get.

If you’re moving as part of managed migration, any savings you have over £16,000 will be disregarded for 12 months from the point you move to Universal Credit. After 12 months, the normal rules apply.

Try to get advice from a benefits specialist before you move from tax credits to Universal Credit.

Call the Citizens Advice Help to Claim helpline 0800 144 8444 in England or 0800 024 1220 in Wales or 0800 023 2581 in Scotland.

How savings affect Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support (CTS) is run by local councils and if you are of working age the amount of savings you are allowed to have depends on the rules of the CTS scheme in your area.

Your local council can tell you more about how the scheme works where you live.

If you are getting Pension Credit and qualify for Council Tax Support, your savings could affect how much you get.

Most new claims will be for Universal Credit which is replacing these benefits.

If you’re already claiming one of these benefits and you have savings worth £6,000 or more you will need to let the office that pays your benefit know.

How savings affect Pension Credit

There is no upper capital limit for Pension Credit but you may receive a reduced amount if you have more than £10,000 of capital.

For every £500 or part of £500 of capital over £10,000, you’ll be treated as having an income of £1 a week. This is added to any other income you have, such as a pension.

Find out more about savings rules for benefits if you’re over 60 on the EntitledTo website.

What counts as savings?

Savings are counted as any money you can get hold of relatively easily, or financial products that can be sold on. These include:

  • cash and money in bank or building society accounts, including current accounts that don’t pay interest
  • National Savings and Investments savings account and Premium Bonds
  • stocks and shares
  • property, which is not your main home.

Under certain circumstances, other properties you own, which you don’t live in, might be disregarded. You can find out more at

Other savings and capital are disregarded including:

  • personal possessions, such as jewellery, furniture or a car
  • value of any pre-paid funeral plans
  • life insurance policies which have not been cashed in
  • insurance claims will be ignored for six months if used to replace or repair.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) are responsible for determining what saving are included or excluded in a benefits claim and this can be based on your personal circumstances.

For more information you should contact the DWP or the Universal Credit helpline.

If you’re not happy with a benefits decision you have the right to appeal.

Will my redundancy pay or other lump-sum payment affect my benefits?

Redundancy pay

If you receive redundancy pay this will be treated as savings for any means-tested benefits you claim.

Bear in mind that not all benefits are means-tested. If you’ve lost your job, the main benefit you can claim is new-style Jobseeker’s Allowance and this is not affected by your savings.

Compensation pay-outs

Compensation is treated as savings for any means-tested benefits you claim. You need to tell the office that pays your benefit as soon as you get your compensation pay-out.

When you claim compensation for an accident, injury or disease which was not your fault, the organisation you’re claiming from must tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

If you’ve been receiving benefits because of the accident, the organisation may have to pay back to the DWP the amount you’ve received in benefit. This might be deducted from your pay-out.

Deprivation of assets

You are not allowed to intentionally reduce your assets or savings to increase the amount you get in benefits. The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) calls this deprivation of assets.

Deprivation of assets can include:

  • giving away money
  • transferring ownership of a property
  • buying possessions which are excluded from means testing, for example cars and jewellery.

If you have done any of these things before making a claim for benefits, the DWP will look at when you got rid of your savings and assets.

If it’s believed you might have deprived yourself of savings or assets, the DWP or your local council, might look at the evidence to decide if it was deliberate.

If at the time, you would not have been able to predict needing benefits, then it might not count as deprivation of assets. You may be asked to provide paperwork and receipts to back up the date and the reasons why you got rid of savings or assets.

If it’s decided you have deliberately deprived yourself of savings or assets, you will be treated as if you still had them. This is called notional capital.

The notional capital will be added to the assets and savings you do have and will affect the amount you will get in benefits.

Find out more about deprivation of assets and notional capital on the EntitledTo websiteopens in new window.

Backdated lump sum payments from DWP

If your benefits have been underpaid you could be entitled to a back payment from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

This might involve a substantial lump sum payment, which could push you over the savings limits for means tested benefits, including:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

In some cases, this payment is not counted as savings for one year and will not affect your income related or means tested benefits during this time.
However, where benefits have been underpaid because of:

  • an official error
  • an error on point of law

any payments over £5,000 can be disregarded for the length of the claim or until the award ends.

PIP mobility component and mental health

In September 2018 it was decided if you’re unable, or find it difficult, to plan or make a journey due to mental health conditions, you’re entitled to the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) mobility component.

If you already getting PIP and think you might benefit from this, you don’t need to do anything. The DWP is currently reviewing all PIP claims and you will be contacted directly.

If you’ve already asked for your PIP award to be reviewed, simply continue with your request.

Claims will be backdated to 28 November 2016.

ESA underpayments

Around 70,000 people have been underpaid Employment and Support Allowance after transferring from older benefits, including Incapacity Benefit.

The people most affected are approximately the 20,000 who were entitled to the ‘severe disability premium’ and were not paid it. In some cases, people may be owed up to £20,000.

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is now making backdated payments to affected customers. Payments will be made going back to the date of the original claim.

If you think you might be owed compensation, you don’t need to do anything. DWP will contact you directly.

Did you find this guide helpful?