Child Benefit and the State Pension

Did you know that claiming Child Benefit could mean you get more State Pension? Retirement might be the last thing on your mind when you’re looking after a new baby, but what you do now could have a big impact on your future finances.

Protecting your State Pension

Despite what you might think, no one automatically gets the full amount of State Pension when they retire.

You’ll only get the full amount if you’ve paid, or been credited with, National Insurance contributions for 35 years.

The key word here is ‘credited’.

Even if you’re not working while looking after your baby, you’ll get National Insurance credits when you claim Child Benefit until your youngest child is 12.

The credits are automatically added to your National Insurance account when you claim Child Benefit, so you don’t need to do anything.

If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016, you’ll get the new State Pension.

The full amount of the new State Pension for 2021-22 will be £179.60 per week.

What is Child Benefit?

Child Benefit is a regular payment from the government to help with the cost of raising a child.

You can claim Child Benefit for each child you’re responsible for if they’re:

In the 2021-22 tax year, you could get:

  • £21.15 per week for your first child
  • £14 per week for any further children

Payments are tax-free as long as neither parent earns more than £50,000 a year.

If you earn more than this you’ll have to pay back some of the money in the form of extra Income Tax.

This is called the ‘High Income Child Benefit Charge’.

To find out more see our guide Child Benefit for people earning £50,000+

How to claim Child Benefit

To claim Child Benefit, you’ll need to fill in a Child Benefit claim form (CH2).

Send it to the Child Benefit Office along with your child’s original birth or adoption certificate.

Even if you don’t think you’ll be entitled to anything because either you or your partner earns over the £50,000 tax-free limit, it’s still worth claiming so you don’t miss out on National Insurance credits.

If either of you earns over £60,000, you can always opt not to receive the payments - and avoid the tax charge - but still get the entitlements.

Find out more about Claiming Child Benefit

If you’re a foster carer

If you’re a registered foster carer, you’ll need to apply to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) for National Insurance credits.

Transferring National Insurance credits

If you’re working and getting Child Benefit, you might be building up more National Insurance credits than you actually need.

The good news is, you can transfer them to your partner if they’re not working or are on a low income and not paying National Insurance contributions.

You can make transfer claims on a yearly basis after the end of each tax year.

Grandparent credits

You can also transfer National Insurance credits to someone else in your family, such as a:

  • sibling
  • grandparent, or
  • other direct family member

If they look after your child (under the age of 12) for at least 20 hours a week.

They don’t need to be registered childminders.

These are commonly known as ‘grandparent credits’.

How to get a State Pension statement

It’s easy to check how many years of National Insurance contributions you currently have and how much State Pension these might give you.

You can also work out how many more years – if any – you need to get the full State Pension.

Find out more about getting a State Pension statement on GOV.UK

Case Study

“I have to manage now on just over £170 a week – that’s State Pension, a very small work pension and Pension Credit. Of course I didn’t think about pensions when the children were growing up. But now I’m retired and divorced, I wish I had. If I had my time again, I would definitely make a few sacrifices to be able to put something aside for old age. You think retirement will sort itself out but it doesn’t – you have to plan for it.”

Rita, 69 years old

Did you find this guide helpful?