Money Advice Service and funding of debt advice services
In 2012 MAS was given a statutory duty to work with partners to improve the availability, quality and consistency of debt advice across the UK.
Since that time MAS has become one of the largest single funders of debt advice in the UK:
- In 2017-18, MAS will deliver £45M of funding for services that will support 468,000 people
- This incorporates a mixture of Face to Face (50%), Telephone (40%) and Online (10%)
- 26 agreements in place across England and Wales, Scotland and N Ireland
- Delivered through grants though some contracts exist where appropriate
- Delivery models include direct, front-line provision and via indirect, lead organisations
In December 2017 the Money Advice Service launched a new five-year debt commissioning strategy that outlines a challenging and exciting plan to ensure debt advice services target those most in need.
This area of the website provides:
- Information around our plans for commissioning of debt advice services through to 2023
- Details on individual regional projects and how to get involved with them
- Research and data which may be of benefit to any providers of debt advice