Help to find work if you’re disabled

If you’re looking for work you might find it helpful to get some careers advice or training, or help with your CV or interviews. This page outlines the support available, including government initiatives to remove some of the barriers disabled job seekers face.

Where to get careers advice

If you’re not sure what type of work you’d like or want to find out more about a certain career, speak to a careers adviser.

Careers advice from your school or local authority

If you’re aged 13-19 and you have a learning difficulty and/or disability, your school must offer you face-to-face careers guidance.

This applies whether or not you have a Statement of Educational Needs (SEN).

Contact your school and ask to speak to the careers adviser.

If you’re under 25, your local authority should provide you with careers advice if you have a Section 139A Learning Difficulty Assessment.

Contact your local council and ask about the careers advice they offer to young disabled people.

The National Careers Service

The National Careers Service provides confidential and impartial advice to help you make decisions about training and work.

If you’re aged 13-18 you can phone them and ask for a callback, email them a question or use their webchat service or moderated chatroom.

Find out more options for young people to contact the National Careers Service on their website.

If you’re aged 19 or over and you have a disability, learning difficulty or health condition, you can also get at least three sessions of face-to-face advice.

Call the National Careers Service on Tel 0800 100 900 to make an appointment with a local adviser.

Find out how to contact the National Careers Service if you’re over 19 on their website.

Speak to a Disability Employment Adviser

Disability Employment Advisers can advise you on job seeking, training and new skills, and government schemes.

They can also tell you about disability-friendly employers in your area.

Contact Jobcentre Plus and ask to speak to a Disability Employment Adviser.

Look for disability-friendly employers

When you’re looking through job adverts and completing application forms, look for the ‘two ticks’ symbol which means the employer is committed to employing disabled people.

If a job advert displays the symbol, you’ll be guaranteed an interview if you meet the basic conditions for the job.

Find out more about the Two Ticks scheme on the GOV.UK website.

Help applying for jobs

Should you mention your disability when applying for a job?

You don’t have to mention your disability when you apply for a job, but if you decide not to, you might not be able to make a complaint about discrimination later on.

It’s a good idea to plan how and when you’re going to tell an employer about your disability.

Think about how you can discuss your disability positively and always focus on how your skills and abilities fit the job.

Useful information on CVs and applying for jobs

Find out more about applying for jobs if you’re disabled on the GOV.UK website.

More about applications and interviews on the Disability Rights UK website.

Use the CV builder on the National Careers Service website.

Find out more about how equality law applies to recruitment on the Equality and Human Rights Commission website.

Work Choice

Work Choice is a voluntary programme for disabled people run by Jobcentre Plus.

It can help you find a job though things like:

  • Training
  • Interview coaching
  • Skills development

Ask your Disability Employment Adviser at the Jobcentre for more information.

Find out more about Work Choice on the GOV.UK website.

Access to Work

If you need communication support, such as an interpreter at an interview, you might be able to get an Access to Work grant for this.

Ask your Disability Employment Adviser at the Jobcentre how to apply.

Find out more about Access to Work on the GOV.UK website.

When you get a job, Access to Work can also provide you with money to pay for things like specialist equipment and services to help you stay in work.


If you want to improve your existing skills or develop new ones, ask your Disability Employment Adviser at the Jobcentre about training opportunities.

You might be able to enrol in:

  • An apprenticeship scheme – where you can get a qualification alongside practical experience and on-the-job training.
  • A residential training course designed to help you find work if you’re disabled and have been unemployed for a long time.
  • Find out more about apprenticeship schemes on the Apprenticeships website
  • Find out more about residential training for disabled adults on the GOV.UK websiteopens in new window

Did you find this guide helpful?