Make sure you’re getting the right entitlements

If you’re on a low income you might be entitled to extra benefits and entitlements. Find out more about what’s available.

Help to pay for essential things

Budgeting Loans

If you’re receiving certain income-related benefits and need help to pay for essentials like clothing, furniture or rent you might be able to get an interest-free Budgeting Loan.

Find out about Budgeting Loans and get an application form on the GOV.UK website.

If you’re getting Universal Credit, you need to apply for a Budgeting Advance.

Find out more about Budgeting Advances on the Citizens Advice website.

Funeral Payments

If you’re on a low income you could get help towards the costs of arranging a funeral.

Home and housing support

Support for Mortgage Interest

From April 2018 if you make a claim for SMI, payments will be made as a loan. You will have to repay the loan either when you sell your house or voluntarily when you’re able to (for example when you return to work).

If you’re receiving certain income-related benefits and you’re struggling to keep up with the interest on your mortgage, you might be able to get extra money as part of your benefits.

This is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) and it can pay the interest (but not the capital repayments) on mortgages up to £200,000.

Payments are made directly to your lender 39 weeks after you first apply for this benefit (unless you’re getting Pension Credit, in which case you can get help immediately) so you should claim as soon as you can.

If you’re on income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you can only get SMI for up to two years.

Housing Benefit

If you’re renting from either a private or social housing landlord and you’re receiving certain income-related benefits you could get money to help pay your rent.

Housing Benefit is one of the six benefits being replaced by Universal Credit.

Universal Credit and housing costs

If you’re invited to claim Universal Credit you might get a housing costs element to go towards your rent or mortgage interest payments.

If you’re renting you’ll be responsible for paying the rent to your landlord yourself.

Energy-Efficiency Grants

If you want to make some changes to your home to cut your power bills, go green and reduce the amount of energy you use. You could get help towards the costs.

If you’re retired

If you’re older, or have reached retirement age, there are a number of benefits you are entitled to, covering heating, television licences, travel and medical care.

Find out more about benefits in retirement here.

If you’re pregnant or have a baby

If you’re expecting, or have has a baby, there are a range of benefits you might be able to claim.

Find out more about benefits you can claim when you’re pregnant or have a baby here.

If you have school aged children

Education Maintenance Allowance

If you’re in Northern Ireland, Wales or Scotland and you’re aged 16–18 you could get weekly help with the cost of education.

16-19 Bursary

If you’re in England you might be able to get the 16-19 Bursary Fund to help with the costs of studying.

Free school meals

If you’re claiming certain benefits, including income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Universal Credit and Child Tax Credit, and are on a low income, your child might be entitled to free school meals.

Find out more about free school meals:

Help with the cost of uniforms

Find out about help with school clothing costs

If you’re ill, injured or disabled

Health costs

You might qualify for help towards some NHS charges if you’re on Income Support.

Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme

You might qualify for help towards the cost of transport if you’re on Income Support and need to travel to get medical treatment.

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you’re disabled you might be able to get money towards the cost of adapting your home for your needs.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

If you’re disabled, have an ongoing health or mental health condition or from a learning disability you could get extra financial help.

Blue Badge Parking Scheme

If you’re disabled you could apply for a badge allowing you to park closer to where you need to be.

Reduced Earnings Allowance

If your earning potential is reduced because you’re disabled you might be entitled to extra support.

Vaccine Damage Payment

If you’ve been severely disabled as a result of a vaccination against certain diseases, you could get a one-off tax-free payment of £120,000.

Other financial help

Cold Weather Payments

Get extra money towards your heating bills during the cold weather if you’re getting income-related benefits.

Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card

If you’ve been claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit for three months you are entitled to a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card for six months (18-24-year olds) or nine months (over 25s).

If you’re claiming other benefits, you might be entitled to this discount card if you’re actively engaged with a Jobcentre Plus adviser.

Cardholders can get half price rail tickets on selected routes and discounts on some bus services.

To help with the cost of travelling to interviews, training, or in the first months of starting a new job, you might be able to use the flexible support fund. Jobcentre Plus staff will make this decision.

BT Basic

If you are claiming Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Pension Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit, you might be entitled to a BT Basic low-cost phone and broadband package.

It comes with a price cap to help you budget and an amount of internet access for web browsing and downloads.

You must be a BT customer. If you are not, you can get connected for free. A phone and broadband package costs around £9.95 per month.

Find out more about the package and eligibility for BT Basic.

Support to help you get through a crisis or live independently

If you’re facing an emergency, there might be local help available. This is known as local welfare assistance.

Refugees and asylum seekers

Refugees might be entitled to an integration loan to pay for housing, household items, education and work training.

Visit for more information about the refugee integration loan.

Asylum seekers might be able to claim asylum support for housing, education and access to the National Health Service (NHS).

Visit for more information on asylum support.

The Refugee Council offers free advice and information for refugees and asylum seekers in the UK.

Use the Refugee Council’s Service Directory to find help near you.

Use a benefit calculator

If you live in Northern Ireland – find out more about what benefits and financial support you might be entitled to on the nidirect websiteopens in new window.

Where to get free help and advice

Did you find this guide helpful?