Personal Independence Payment – an introduction

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit that helps with the extra costs of a long-term health condition or disability for people aged 16 to 64. It’s gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA). This page tells explains more about PIP, including how to claim it, how you’ll be affected if you already get DLA and how much you could get.

What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with the extra costs of disability or long-term health conditions for people aged 16 to 64.

It is a non-means tested benefit. So getting it doesn’t depend on how much you earn, or whether you have savings or capital.

Children under 16

You can’t make a claim for PIP for children under 16.

Instead, you can still make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance for a child aged under 16 who has difficulty getting around or who needs more care than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

Read our guide Disability benefits and entitlements for children

Find out more about Disability Living Allowance for children on the GOV.UK website.

How much is Personal Independence Payment?

Personal Independence Payment is made up of two components:

  • The Mobility component might be paid if you need help getting about.
  • The Daily Living component might be paid if you need help with carrying out everyday activities, such as washing and dressing.

Each component can be paid at either a standard or an enhanced rate.

Depending on how your condition affects you, it’s possible to get one component or both, and either the standard or the enhanced rate

This is worked out using the results of an assessment.

  Standard weekly rate (2017-18) Enhanced weekly rate (2017-18)
Daily living component £55.65 £83.10
Mobility component £22.00 £58.00

Claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

To start a claim for PIP you first need to contact the DWP who will check that you’re eligible to claim.

If you are eligible, the DWP will send you a form called How your disability affects you.

It is very important that you fill in this form carefully and give as much detail as you can about your condition.

When the DWP receives this form they will decide whether you need a medical assessment.

This is usually a face-to-face consultation with an independent, trained health professional.

The assessment is designed to work out what your individual needs are.

It will focus on how well you can carry out a range of activities that you need to do to cope with everyday life.

Following your assessment, a decision maker will decide whether you’re eligible to get PIP.

If you get PIP, your award will be regularly reassessed to to see if your condition has changed.

Find out more about how to start your PIP claim on the GOV.UK website
You can get help to fill out the ‘How your disability affects you’ form on the Citizens Advice website
Download more information from GOV.UK explaining the assessment criteria for Personal Independence Payment.

If you’re already claiming Disability Living Allowance

If you’re already claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) you’ll get a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (or the Social Security Agency in Northern Ireland) inviting you to make a claim for Personal Independence Payment.

This will happen even if you currently have an indefinite or lifetime award of DLA.

Use the PIP checker on the GOV.UK website to find out when your DLA claim will end and when you might be invited to make a new claim for PIP.

If you’re aged 65 or over and getting DLA

If you’re aged 65 or over and already getting Disability Living Allowance, you’ll be unaffected by the changes and will continue to get DLA.

Moving from DLA to PIP

The Department for Work and Pensions expects that most people who are getting DLA should qualify for PIP.

However, the two benefits have different qualifying conditions, so it’s possible that you might be entitled to a higher or lower rate of payment, or that you won’t be entitled to anything.

Read more about what to do if your award changes in our guides:

More information about PIP

For more information and support, follow the links below:

Did you find this guide helpful?