What to do when someone dies

Working out what to do first when someone dies can seem overwhelming. Besides letting family and friends know, there are also several organisations to notify when a person has passed away. Our guide gives you a list of the essential things you need to do immediately and in the subsequent weeks and months after someone dies.

Tackle these first:

And in subsequent weeks:

Get a medical certificate


Immediately, unless there is a coroner’s inquest where the certificate is issued after this.


The hospital (or the person’s GP) will give this to you.

Any costs?

The certificate is free.

Register the death


Within five days for England, Wales or Northern Ireland; within eight days for Scotland.

If there’s a coroner’s (or procurator fiscal if in Scotland) inquest, registration is delayed until the inquest concludes.


Depending on which country the deceased lived in, you must register the death at:

Any costs?

Registering a death is free. However, to get a certificate you’ll pay £4 in England and Wales or £8 in Northern Ireland.

The cost does rise if you later decide you want more copies. We suggest getting additional copies, as it usually cheaper and easier to do so at this point. This lets you deal with several organisations at the same time, instead of having to wait for your only copy to be returned before you can deal with the next one.

Any documents needed?

You need the deceased’s:

  • Medical certificate with the cause of death
  • Full name including any previous names (e.g. maiden name)
  • Date and place of birth
  • Last address
  • Occupation
  • Full name, date of birth and occupation of their surviving/late spouse or civil partner if they were married.

If available, you should also take the deceased’s:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • National Insurance number
  • NHS medical card
  • Proof of address, e.g. utility bill
  • Driving license
  • Passport

You should also bring documents (e.g. utility bill) to show proof of your identity.

Arrange the funeral


Most people arrange funerals to take place within one or two weeks of death.


Use a funeral director, arrange a direct cremation or arrange it yourself.

Any costs?

Costs will vary depending on how the funeral is arranged. See How much does a funeral cost for a breakdown of the costs, and what you can do to keep down the costs.

Notify government departments


As soon as possible after receiving the death certificate.


  • HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) for their taxes
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for their State Pension and benefits
  • Passport Office to cancel their passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to cancel their driving license, car tax and car registration documents
  • Local council for their Council Tax, electoral register and other housing benefits
  • Public sector or armed forces pension scheme for their pension.


Use the Tell Us Once service to notify these government departments. Once these departments are notified, they should contact you about the deceased’s taxes and benefits.

This service is offered by most local authorities in England, Wales and Scotland, except Northern Ireland. If the service is not offered by your local authority, then you’ll need to notify these departments individually.

Any costs?

The service is free.

Information needed?

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Unique reference number given to you when you register the death
  • Name, date of death and National Insurance number of the deceased
  • Contact details, date of birth, passport number (if available) and National Insurance number of the next of kin
  • Details of the person dealing with the deceased’s estate
  • Permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the deceased, to give out their contact details.

If available, you should also provide:

  • Details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, e.g. State Pension
  • Details of any local council services they were getting, e.g. Blue Badge
  • Name and address of their next of kin
  • Name contact details of the person or company dealing with the deceased’s estate, i.e. the ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’
  • Details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to.

Return the deceased’s passport and driving license


As soon as possible after receiving the death certificate


By post. See the following links for details of where to send these documents:

Dealing with finances after a death?

It’s likely that your household finances changed when your partner died. There are things you can do to manage the bills, mortgage, insurance and finances.

Learn more in Dealing with finances and insurance after your partner dies.

Notify insurers and creditors


Ideally, as soon as possible after receiving the death certificate, or within a month of the death.


Insurance company, bank or building society, credit card companies, utility companies, pension provider and any other companies that the deceased had financial dealings with.


By calling the company, visiting the local branch (for banks or building society), or by visiting their website, where they may have an online form that you can complete.

Any costs?

Free to notify these companies. But the deceased may have had outstanding debts or payment arrangements with these companies that need to be settled.

Sorting out the deceased’s financial affairs will depend on whether they made a will or died without a will.

Any documents needed?

You will need official copies of the death certificate when dealing with these companies.

You’ll also need to give the contact details of the executor or administrator of the estate.

Apply for probate


Within a month of the person’s death.


The process of applying for probate differs depending on whether the deceased left a will or they died without a will.

Any costs?

The cost of getting probate depends on where the deceased lived (i.e. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales), and the size of their estate.

Additional resources and support

You can find additional information about what to do when someone dies at:

Bereavement support

Dealing with the death of someone close to you can seem overwhelming. Your GP or your local religious or community group is often a good place to start to looking for support in dealing with bereavement.

There are also a number of organisations that offer support to help you deal with your grief:

Did you find this guide helpful?