Where can I get help and advice about benefits
Working out what benefits or tax credits you’re entitled to can be tricky, especially with recent welfare changes. Find out where to get free expert advice online, face-to-face or by calling an advice helpline.
- Citizens Advice
- Law Centres
- Macmillan benefits advisers for people affected by cancer
- Age UK benefits advice for older people
- Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline
- Other free help and advice
Citizens Advice can give you free, confidential, impartial and independent benefits advice.
As well as benefits advice, they can help you resolve problems with debt, housing and many more issues.
- Home visits
- Advice helpline
- Email (in some cases)
Contact Citizens Advice
Find your local bureau to arrange an appointment or view a list of phone numbers.
- England and Wales – Citizens Advice website
- Scotland – Citizens Advice website
- Northern Ireland – Citizens Advice website
Law Centres provide free legal advice and representation to disadvantaged people.
As well as benefits and welfare rights advice, Law Centres offer legal advice on issues including employment and housing.
- Telephone (in some areas)
Contact your local Law Centre
- England, Wales and Northern Ireland - find your nearest Law Centre
- Scotland - find your nearest Law Centre
Macmillan benefits advisers for people affected by cancer
A Macmillan benefits adviser can help you work out what financial help you’re entitled to.
They offer specialist advice to help ease money worries.
Including information on:
- Tax credits
- Home visits
Anyone affected by cancer.
Find a Macmillan benefits adviser
Age UK benefits advice for older people
Some local branches of Age UK offer a free, confidential benefits advice service.
Practical assistance to make sure you’re getting all the benefits you’re entitled to.
- Home visits
- Help with completing claim forms
Anyone who is over State Pension age and living in the area covered by the local branch.
Contact Age UK
Call the Age UK Helpline: 0800 169 6565 (8am-7pm, 365 days a year)
Go to the Age UK website
Or put ‘Age UK’ plus the name of your local area into a search engine.
Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline
Gingerbread provides advice and practical support for single parents, including advice on benefits and tax credits.
You can call free on 0808 802 0925 (Monday: 10am to 6pm, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10am to 4pm, Wednesday: 10am-1pm and 5pm-7pm)
Other free help and advice
If you’re worried about keeping up with debt repayments there is lots of free, confidential help and advice available.
Find out more by following the link below:
If you have rent or mortgage arrears or you’re worried about losing your home, Shelter offers confidential advice on a range of housing issues.
- Visit the Shelter England website
- Visit the Shelter Scotland website
- Visit the Shelter Cymru website
- Visit the Shelter Northern Ireland websiteopens in new window