Debt and borrowing
Taking control of debt, getting free debt advice, and how to borrow affordably
Handpicked content for you...
Before you borrow
Find out if you need to borrow money and whether you can afford it. Learn how to work out the true cost of borrowing.
- Borrowing and credit basics
- Compare the cost of borrowing £1,000
- Avoid high fees and hidden borrowing costs
- Compare the cost of borrowing £5,000
- Loan calculator
- Should you borrow from family or friends?
- Taking out a joint loan: what you need to know
- Secured and unsecured borrowing explained
- Good debt versus bad debt
- Working out a repayment plan for your borrowing
- How much can you afford to borrow for a mortgage?
- Building a credit history as a young consumer
- Can you afford to borrow money?
Taking control of debt
Where to get free debt advice, how to speak to the people you owe money to, and tips to help you pay back your debts in the right order.
- Where to go to get free debt advice
- How to prioritise your debts
- Help if you’re struggling with debt
- Best ways to pay off your debts – England and Wales
- Options for clearing your debt – Northern Ireland
- Options for clearing your debt – Scotland
- How to reduce the cost of your credit and store card debt
- How to reduce the cost of your personal loans
- Prioritise and deal with late payment letters
- What is a County Court Judgment (CCJ)?
- Dealing with the debts of someone who has died
- What is an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA)?
- What is a Debt Management Plan (DMP)?
- What is an Administration Order?
- What is a Debt Relief Order (DRO)?
- How to declare yourself bankrupt
Mortgage and rent problems
Help if you're struggling with your mortgage or rent payments and information on government support if you can't pay your mortgage.
Help with loans
Learn about how personal loans work, better alternatives to payday loans, and help when borrowing from a credit union.
- Alternatives to payday loans
- Refused credit or refused a loan – what you can do
- Loan calculator
- Budgeting Loans
- Credit brokers and payday loans
- Borrowing from a credit union
- Loan sharks
- Pawnbrokers – how they work
- Home credit or doorstep lending
- Logbook loans
- Problems paying back a payday loan
- Payday loans – what you need to know
- Peer to peer lending
- Debt consolidation loans
Credit cards and credit ratings
Find out how to manage a credit card, how to check your credit report, and tips on how you can improve your credit rating.
- Credit card cheques
- How you’re protected when you pay by card
- Charge cards
- Choosing and applying for a credit card
- Reclaiming unfair credit card charges
- Paying off your credit card
- In-store credit and hire purchase
- Cashback credit cards
- Should you transfer your credit card balance?
- How your credit score affects the cost of borrowing
- How to check your credit report
- Deciding on the best type of credit for you
- How to get credit for the first time
- How to improve your credit score
- A simple guide to credit cards
- How to use credit card comparison tables
- Managing your credit card account
- Credit, debit and other cards
- Catalogue credit or shopping accounts
- How do you increase your credit limit?
- Recurring payments for payday loans