Pensions and retirement
Includes retirement advice, types of pension and retirement income, and information on automatic enrolment
Handpicked content for you...
Saving for retirement
Learn about the importance of retirement savings and why you should save into a pension.
- Lifetime allowance for pension savings
- Transferring defined contribution pensions
- Transferring out of a defined benefit pension scheme
- Pension investment options – an overview
- How to deal with a gap in your pension savings
- Check the progress of your pension and retirement savings
- Making the most of your pensions
- Pensions – review your investments
- Tax relief on pension contributions
- Ways to boost your pension in the run-up to retirement
- Dealing with pension problems and making a complaint
- Individual and Fixed Protection 2014 schemes for pension savings
- Retirement income tool
Types of pension
From defined contribution and benefit schemes, to personal pensions and pensions for the self-employed.
Learn about automatic enrolment and how it affects you, and use our workplace pension advice tool and calculator.
- Automatic enrolment – an introduction
- The benefits of automatic enrolment
- Workplace pension contribution calculator
- Automatic enrolment – what to expect from your employer
- Workplace pension changes – the basics
- Automatic enrolment if you earn up to £10,000
- Automatic enrolment if you have debts
- Automatic enrolment if you’re 21 or under
- Automatic enrolment if you're close to retirement
- Automatic enrolment if you're above State Pension age
- How safe is your workplace pension?
Find out why and when to save into a pension and how to work out what your pension pot might be.
Using your pension pot
Learn about the different types of annuity and other kinds of pension and retirement income.
- Understand and compare income drawdown
- What is income drawdown?
- Taking small cash sums from your pension pot
- Taking your whole pension pot as cash
- Using your pension pot to buy a lifetime annuity
- Fixed or increasing annuities
- Higher retirement income for people with poor health
- Investment-linked annuities
- Protecting your retirement income
- How to shop around for an annuity
- Single or joint annuities
- Flexi-access drawdown: Using your pension pot for a flexible retirement income
- Fixed-term annuities
- Capped drawdown
Help with choosing a financial adviser, questions to ask them, and a guide to their fees.
State Pension and benefits
Find out everything you need to know about the State Pension and other benefits in retirement.
Managing money and planning ahead
Prepare for retirement with tips on budgeting, tax and planning ahead when you’ve stopped working.
Help in later life
Learn more about pensioner bonds, equity release, lifetime mortgages and retiring abroad.
More help with pensions
Find out more about pension scams, divorce in retirement, and what to do about someone’s pension when they’ve died.